Your browser does not support JavaScript!
     •  Rapid Web Designer - Ver 4.0
This is an image for the page header
Church History
This is an image for the page header
              PARKWAY BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY

        Parkway Baptist Church began its life of ministry as The Berea Baptist Church and traces its beginning to a meeting of believers on Wednesday night, May 15, 1935, in the vacant house of Miss Ella Brown on Hopewell Road.  Bro. L. O. Calhoun presided at this meeting and continued to minister to the group until the acceptance of the call by the first pastor.  At the first meeting various committees were appointed looking for a permanent organization.
        By the first Sunday in September 1935, the church building had been erected and the permanent organization was effected on that day.
        In 1935, Mr. W.W. Bugg made an offer to donate one acre of land for the purpose of building what became known as Berea and later Parkway Baptist Church.  The church body accepted his offer and they built the original assembly room at that time.  The first building expansion was in 1939 when a small addition was constructed across the rear of the original building for a few Sunday School rooms which contained approximately 400 square feet of floor space.
        In 1941, an additional acre of land was purchased from Mr. Pat Watkins at a cost of $500.  In 1942, a house was secured and moved to the church grounds.  This served as the parsonage until 1966.  In 1953, another addition to the original building was completed.  This consisted of about 1,500 square feet which made up the educational facility at that time.  Both of these building programs were financed by the membership as they were built.
        In 1959, plans began for a new sanctuary.  In late 1960, building and financial plans were completed and construction began. This building was completed and services were held in it on the second Sunday of September 1961.
        In 1967, we purchased another acre of land from Dr. Midyette for $2,000 and constructed a three bedroom house for a parsonage.  The cost of the parsonage was $14,775.
        On March 13, 1974, the church voted to build and furnish an educational building for the preschool and children’s department.  This building is located on the north side of the sanctuary.  The cost of this building was $48,000.
        


        At the December 10, 1975, business meeting of Berea Baptist, the members voted to proceed with the building of an adult educational building on the south side of the sanctuary.  This building would also serve as a fellowship hall and include a modern, completely furnished kitchen.  The cost of this building was $67,000.  A dedication service was held there on the first Sunday of 1977.
        The late 1980’s were years of renovation of the buildings here at Berea/Parkway.  New carpet and air conditioning were installed in the sanctuary.
        In 1990, the church was given .8 of an acre of land by Helen Bugg Robinson to square up the church property.
        During the late 1990’s and early 2000’s the church conferred on several deacons the office of Deacon Emeritus.  Honored with this office were, Bro. Clayton Kelley, Bro. Claude Cameron and Bro. Gene Hawkins.
        In 2007, Berea Baptist Church entered into a revitalization agreement with the Shiloh Association and Florida Baptist Convention.  During a three year period, under God’s leadership, many repairs and improvements were made to our buildings and ministry programs.   One of the final and most significant changes in our revitalization occurred when we began using the name of Parkway Baptist.
        In August 2012, the church called Rev. Dick Moore as pastor and in February 2013, called Rev. Brainard Harris as Associate Pastor and Minister of Music.  Our church began offering Tuesday night Prophecy studies in addition to our regular Sunday Worship Services and Wednesday prayer meetings.
        This year we have had the distinct privilege of ordaining to the Gospel Ministry, Jordan Harris, our Minister of Youth.
         In an effort to sharpen our vision, we have adopted a new Mission Statement: “PBC, PC” - Sharing the Love of Christ: Proclaiming the Good News, Building the Saved, Caring for the Hurting, a Praying Community.
        To proclaim the good news to our current culture, the church has begun sharing our service via the Internet on Facebook and Twitter.
Facebook and Twitter @ parkwaybaptistc
        We continue to strive to update and beautify our facilities, to give our best to the Lord in our Praise and Worship and to love all who enter our midst.


Last Modified: Sep 09, 2016
Proclaiming the Good News, Building the Saved, Caring for the Hurting, a Praying Community Parkway Baptist Church 4305 James L Redman Parkway, Plant City, FL 33567 (813)-737-1232 webmaster:brainardharris@gmail.com